[Qgis-developer] Minimum qt version - bumping to 4.6?

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 20:14:00 PST 2013

Hi

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:

> I think the slow poke is actually likely to be CentOS/Redhat based
> linux. This probably matters more for QGIS server but we do list desktop
> packages for that family. Qt 4.6.x appears to be what's in the current
> CentOS/Redhat 6
>
> +1 for moving minimum to 4.6
>
> It's probably reasonable to bump Qt version once per year, so in 2014 if
> CentOS/Redhat 7 comes out I expect it will have something newer (4.7+)

I do not like the idea of being held back from upgrading minimal
requirements by one distribution. I think it is fairly reasonable to
expect that only older software will work with older distributions.
Moreover, I guess the share of CentOS/Redhat users is quite low even
just among linux users because it is mainly server oriented. And even
then those users should not have trouble installing newer Qt from
third-party packages.

Finally, newer versions of Qt are also more stable - with a release of
new minor Qt version the older branch typically stops receiving
further bugfixes.

Regards
Martin