[Qgis-developer] Disable Syntax Highlighting in DB Manager

Lee Hachadoorian Lee.Hachadoorian+L at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 18:07:30 PST 2013

On 11/24/2013 08:10 PM, Nyall Dawson wrote:
>> The syntax highlighting is already usable as it is, nobody else is
>> experiencing any issue with it... Surely it can be improved, but definitely
>> it's not just eye candy, as it helps in writing queries.
>>
> I don't think it's the syntax highlighting that's the issue - I think
> it's related to the auto complete function. I regularly see this lag,
> and it always occurs for me when the sql window is trying to populate
> the autocomplete drop down list. Sometimes it will take 2-3 seconds to
> display the list, during which the window is unresponsive.
>
> (This is using the osgeo4w nightly builds with a Postgresql 9.3 server) .
>
> Nyall

I've created two screencasts [1] of me keying in a 310 character query.
With syntax highlighting enabled this took 6 minutes, while with
highlighting disabled it took one-quarter as long (1½ minutes). The
query was a query I had already composed (viewing off camera), so when
you see the cursor pause that is not me thinking what to type next, that
is me waiting for the characters buffered to hit the screen so that I
can continue typing. Please view the videos (Ogg Vorbis format) to see
what I am talking about.

Occasionally there were typoes (mimicking real life typing). The latency
introduced by syntax highlighting aggravates typo-ing, because I'm
usually typing several characters ahead of the display, whereas without
the latency I see the typoed character right away and backspace to fix it.

My first thought was also that it was code completion (thought it was DB
round trips), but the second video shows that with highlighting off and
code completion on, there is no latency.

Best,
--Lee

[1] https://www.dropbox.com/sh/arbqwx0pg12yufm/rNv25CKlFK

--
Lee Hachadoorian
Assistant Professor in Geography, Dartmouth College