[Qgis-developer] Projection of ESPG/ESRI

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Wed Nov 27 10:56:39 PST 2013

So this question was going to be epic and confusing - and I just figured
it out. I also Cross posted this to the developers list - so excuse the
duplication.

I have a user who sent me  data in Georgia West State Plane NAD83 Feet.
In QGIS this comes up as a custom projection so I decided to define it.
According to QGIS I ended up with two EPSG choices - EPSG 102667 and
EPSG 2240. So this lead to some back and forth on my part mostly because
I was working tired. I searched the EPSG database and there is no
102667. This led to some head banging on my part.

I searched http://spatialreference.org/ref/?search=Georgia+West+ and
102667 is defined as an ESRI projection. Except in QGIS it comes up as
EPSG. Can this be fixed - can it be referenced as ESRI as opposed to EPSG?

Also - it seems when I pull data without a projection it inherits EPSG
4326 (WGS84) - is there a way in QGIS to pull in data with no
projection? In some cases we have to figure it out - so it coming in as
undefined is more helpful than inheriting an incorrect projection.

Anyway - Happy Thanksgiving for those of you who fall in that geographic
social area.

Randy

--
Randal Hale, GISP