[Qgis-developer] Projection of ESPG/ESRI

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Wed Nov 27 20:46:29 PST 2013

Am 27.11.2013 20:12, schrieb Alex Mandel:
> On 11/27/2013 10:56 AM, Randal Hale wrote:
>> So this question was going to be epic and confusing - and I just figured
>> it out. I also Cross posted this to the developers list - so excuse the
>> duplication.
>>
>> I have a user who sent me  data in Georgia West State Plane NAD83 Feet.
>> In QGIS this comes up as a custom projection so I decided to define it.
>> According to QGIS I ended up with two EPSG choices - EPSG 102667 and
>> EPSG 2240. So this lead to some back and forth on my part mostly because
>> I was working tired. I searched the EPSG database and there is no
>> 102667. This led to some head banging on my part.
>>
>> I searched http://spatialreference.org/ref/?search=Georgia+West+ and
>> 102667 is defined as an ESRI projection. Except in QGIS it comes up as
>> EPSG. Can this be fixed - can it be referenced as ESRI as opposed to EPSG?
>>

> I think that's a minor semantics issue, it's common knowledge that EPSG
> code's over 10,000 are not actually official EPSG. But I'm not sure that
> the label is stored in the db. Will have to look into that. More a
> request to the developers list than here. And then of course I wonder if
> we'll get in trouble for using the term ESRI without a trademark note.
> Technically yes those projections come from the ESRI definitions, but
> I'd guess that someone outside ESRI actually converted them to proj strings.

We also have IGNF: projection definitions, so why not giving ESRI the
appropriate reference? They did not invent them, just gave the number.
Referencing to EPSG for projections that they did not publish is not
better either.

I guess it comes from GDAL or PROJ4 after all. They have tables called
ESRI with the extra definitions.

Greetings,
André Joost