[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-user] Shortcut changes in QGIS; call for opinions

Borys Jurgiel lists at borysjurgiel.pl
Fri Nov 29 02:56:29 PST 2013

Dnia piątek, 29 listopada 2013 10:18:26 Andreas Neumann pisze:
> As long as we don't have an undo option I would like to have the
> confirmation question always when removing one or more layers. It is not
> something that people do all the time, so it wouldn't be annoying.

It seems there are at least two opposite approaches in the TOC usage. When you
do any kind of data processing, you have billions of intermediate layers you
have to remove one by one, and it doesn't hurt you if you remove too much, as
you don't care about their style. Furthermore, then you have to remove them
all from disk and it also isn't especially dangerous if you only use
reasonable versioning and backups. Also I guess every admin spending her/his
days on browsing and fixing countless layers from her/his users might agree
with me.

But you're right, I didn't consider your point of view, and seems that one is
definitely more popular. For the non-confirmation variant, I can see two
solutions:

1. We already have a number of actions without default shortcut. Maybe we
could create an action that is neither placed in any menu/toolbar nor assigned
to any shortcut by default. Just waiting to be connected to a custom shortcut
if anybody wants it.

2. If we don't want to make such "orphan" actions, let's drop it. I'll write a
supersimple plugin for adding non-standard actions and release it if anyone
interested.