[Qgis-developer] Fwd: QGIS stable, release, master, development, nightly build, latest, unstable etc etc

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Oct 1 01:24:27 PDT 2013

On 09/30/2013 12:39 AM, Andreas Neumann wrote:
>> good point - IMHO alpha, preview, testing, unstable are acceptable,
>> the others are less appropriate and understandable.
>
> I would prefer "Preview" or "Testing" - as "unstable" implies that it
> is less stable than the official releases, which is not necessarily
> the case. It can be less stable, but in between there could be
> releases that are more stable than the official release. So unstable
> is not a very good term in my opinion. Personally I like "Preview".
>
> Andreas

I'm not disagreeing, "Testing" or "Preview" seems like reasonable names,
as long as no one gets them mixed with "Release Candidate". "Preview"
might be better as that term does not exist in the Debian world at all
from what I know.

I do know where the term "unstable" comes from though: yesterdays build
worked, today's doesn't, maybe tomorrow will but we can't be sure. So
it's more of the - it may break at any time and we reserve the right to
break it for a few days if some big change is working through.

Thanks,
Alex