[Qgis-developer] QGIS 2 64bits, is it stable ?

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Fri Oct 4 04:12:58 PDT 2013

I think we have to be fair with the current state of the project in
this discussion.

The stability of the current release is heavily influenced by
increasing the major version number. What I mean with this is, that
because for the next release only the minor number will increase, I
expect it to be to be more stable and not less. Regardless of testing.

I'm by no means opposed to testing. I would like to encourage everybody
to write test-cases. But, recently it appears to me, that testing is
proposed as cure to all evil, which I don't believe. It can surely help
to get feedback about broken functionality fast, but in the end it is
also additional effort to implement these tests and keep them up to
date. Let me quote Martin Grässlin "I rather use a working system
without unit tests than a system with unit tests that doesn’t work" [1].

So right now, I think it is important to fix bugs. If somebody pays a
developer to fix a bug, please feel free to include a regression-test
in this contract. It will be appreciated. But even more important:
Please DO consider hiring a developer to fix bugs at all.

Matthias

[1] http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2013/05/mir-in-kubuntu/