[Qgis-developer] Infrastructure for plugin settings

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 01:12:03 PDT 2013

The idea is to have that common place for all settings. The bad thing
that I see (and some people have told me), is that it might be
difficult to find for a user that searches for a configuration panel
for a given plugin, since he might look for it in the menu of that
plugin. A solution to that would be to make it easy to call the
settigns dialog, but open in the tab (or panel, or whatever),
corresponding to a given plugin. So there would be a "plugin options"
menu, with all options, but a plugin author could add a shortcut to
that and add a "setting of my plugin" menu entry which would go
straight to those settings.

The thing is to avoid developers creating their own panels and dialogs
for settings, which is time consuming and each one looks differently.

I would suggest a design similar to the eclipse one, with a tree in
the left hand side where you have all plugins, and once you select
one, you see all its parameters in the right-hand side panel.

If anyone is interested, we can discuss this in the HF. It looks to me
like a nice thing to work on, and we can also adapt some existing
plugins to use it, once it is done.

cheers
Víctor