[Qgis-developer] Fwd: Q-Rap plugin

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Fri Sep 20 03:41:02 PDT 2013

Hi

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Magdaleen Ballot <
Magdaleen.Ballot at up.ac.za> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently th only active developer on Q-Rap, a Radio Planning plugin
> for QGis (source code at http://sourceforge.net/projects/qrap/). I
> recently updated it to work with Qgis version 2 (the upgrade on the Ubuntu
> repositories catch me a bit surprised as the Web-site still only talks
> about version 1.80).

We are announcing the release of 2.0 shortly - first we have been pushing
packages out to the repositories.

> None the less, my main problem is that I am having trouble to have Q-Rap
> "stick":
> It loads successfully, however when I close Q-Gis down and open it up
> again the tool bar is not there.<BR>Q-Rap is still selected, but it would
> seem like the constructor and initGui is not run again when I open up QGis.
> so now I have to un select the Q-Rap plugin and selects it again ... and
> then it loads.
> I had another look at the plugin-template and some other plugin
> implementations in the source code, but I <BR>really don't get it. Q-Rap
> creates its own new ToolBar on the QGis-interface.
> (I had this problem in 1.8 as well ... in version 1.7 it worked fine)
>
> Is this a bug in QGis or am I blind to what I am doing wrong?

Someone would need to build it and check it in order to be able to tell you
that.

> On another topic;
> On the Q-Rap mailing list I got the following message for Giovanni:
>
> ">> http://www.qgis.org/api/INSTALL.html<http://www.qgis.org/api/INSTALL.html%3E%3E>
> > <http://www.qgis.org/api/INSTALL.html%3E%3E> I doubt anyway that you
> will be able to make qrap works with the
> > latest QGIS source code as it does not seem to have been updated
> recently.
>
> > QGIS C++ plugins should be added upstream and maintained updated
> > there, otherwise they are going the become quickly obsolete and of
> > course stop to work
> >
> >> cheers>> -- Giovanni --"
>
> I also got a similar suggestion from Paolo Cavallini of the LinkedIn
> QuantumGIS group that I should be doing the same. The fact of the matter is
> that I would really like to do just that.
>

> How does one go about it? Is there any-one that can help me with this? As
> I am currently the only active developer and should actually be spending my
> time on research and teaching.
> (I have not yet try to compile it under windows.)

Great that you plan to update your plugin to 2.0. I don't think the QRAP
plugin is a good candidate for inclusion of the QGIS upstream project
directly as its scope is limited to a very niche group of users. Also
anything going into core should have a dedicated maintainer, so it should
not be seen as a vehicle to offload the maintainance to other developers.
It would be better to make an appeal here on the list (and perhaps the
users list) for other developers to join you on the project.

In terms of hosting, we can certainly look at hosting QGIS in the github
QGIS repository (or you could upload it to your own repo and make it public
for others to fork).

Regards

Tim

> Kind Regards
> Magdaleen Ballot.

Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net