[Qgis-developer] What's up with the 2.0.2 designation?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri Sep 27 02:06:30 PDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 08:26:37PM +0200, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> On Thu, 26. Sep 2013 at 20:52:16 +0300, Alexander Bruy wrote:
> > Maybe I miss something, but some time ago we decided that
> > we can't maintain bugfix branches for the lack of resources.
> >
> > Is situation changed?
>
> No, not as far as I know.

Deciding that you can't maintain a bugfix branch doesn't mean
that nobody else can. All it takes to keep the door open is
to have a 2.0 branch sit there, and require anyone willing to
push to it to carefully keep note of what gets into it.

Then, whenever someone asks for "next stable release" you
can request her to do the work, starting from the 2.0 branch.

Meanwhile, the "master" branch should be set to target next
minor release (2.1.0 in this case, right?).

There's already been 10 commits in the stable branch since
2.0.1. You can obtain the list with:

 git log final-2_0_1..release-2_0

High level summary of what was committed:

 - win packaging fixes
 - pt_BR translation update
 - wrong .qgis2 permissions in ubuntu 13.04 (#8613)
 - fix qml file for directed edge layer in topoviewer plugin

So it does look like people are already maintaining a stable
branch, as that's what it is. Now why not keeping this info
updated on the go (like adding a NEWS item togheter with commits
that go in the branch) to reduce the cost of closing that branch
up as a release 2.0.2 ?

--strk;