[Qgis-developer] install instructions

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Sep 27 11:40:02 PDT 2013

On 09/27/2013 09:55 AM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> I've just upgraded to Linux Mint 15 and had some trouble installing
> QGIS. I followed the instructions on the shiny new web pages for
> Raring Ringtail.
>
> The instructions seem to imply adding both qgis.org and the ubuntugis
> PPA to sources.

That should be a really huge OR
It's qgis.org OR ubuntugis
If you do both you end up with potential conflicts.

> The qgis.org repo seems to have 2.0.1-2, and ubuntugis had 2.0.1-1 - I
> got into a weird state where the conflicts list of python-qgis
> included python-qgis.... Removing the qgis repo from sources and
> chanting various apt spells eventually got me a clean qgis from
> ubuntugis-unstable with version 2.0.1-1~raring and python support
> working.
>
> I thought ubuntugis-unstable would be more recent (and hence less
> stable) than qgis.org, so why does it have a lower version number?
> What was causing the odd conflict? What did I do wrong?

The version of QGIS is actually the same, -# is actuall just an
increment that gets raised every time someone reuploads the same package
with a minor packagin fix.

What differs is the versions of underlying libraries: gdal, geos, and proj

For many people having a newer gdal (1.10.x) and a newer goes fix a good
deal of bugs in support certain format reading/writing and certain
spatial analysis operations.

> The install instructions aren't very beginner friendly for Linux.
>
> But it does look lovely.... Now time to play with the toolbox.... And
> maybe start porting my plugins!
>
> Barry

Sounds like it needs a little more clean up.

Thanks,
Alex