[Qgis-developer] install instructions

stevenhorner steven at stevenhorner.com
Fri Sep 27 12:11:01 PDT 2013

I had similar problems installing on raring, like you I had both listed, but
now use these instructions disable any other source you may have added:

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install qgis python-qgis qgis-plugin-grass

This installs but you may get an error when starting QGIS on Ubuntu which is
normally because the owner of the .QGIS2 folder is Root rather than your
logon user. You may need to change this.

Once QGIS successfully opens you are likely to still have problems with the
Processing Toolbox (formerly SEXTANTE) if you want to use its GRASS commands
or GDAL. I have been trying for several weeks now to get the GRASS commands
in Processing to work on either Windows or Ubuntu (raring or precis) without
any success, most recently GDAL isn't configured correctly for the
processing Toolbox. I have tried various releases from 1.80, 1.9, 2.0.1 and
2.1.0-master. If you don't need the Processing Toolbox you should find most
other things are a great improvement over 1.8.