[Qgis-developer] install instructions

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sun Sep 29 02:07:54 PDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 7:40 PM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:

> Sounds like it needs a little more clean up.

Yes, its not very friendly for Linux beginners who may never have
edited apt sources files before. It may be a better idea to suggest
putting the deb lines into /etc/apt/sources.list.d/qgis.list (assuming
the various distros apt versions support a directory of source lists).
I'm also not sure the Linux installation should talk about
'installers' since that to me means a runnable executable that does
the installation (as in Windows) and not a package-based system, but
thats a minor quibble.

 So I'm still a bit unclear what the text should say. Is it:

 """
EITHER:

Get the latest stable version via packages from qgis.org by creating
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/qgis.list with the correct lines for your
Ubuntu version:

deb     http://qgis.org/debian raring main
deb-src http://qgis.org/debian raring main

[etc]

and then run sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install qgis [etc etc].

OR

 Get the latest unstable/bugfix version from the ubuntugis project via
the ubuntugis-unstable PPA:

[apt-add-repository instructions etc]

 and then run sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install qgis [etc etc]

"""

I don't know why the current instructions mention "the ubuntugis
project" at the start of the text telling you to add qgis.org to
sources.list. Are these packages the same/previous versions of
packages that appeared on the ubuntugis PPA?

Also, typo on http://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html
"Recommendend", should be "Recommended".

While I'm being picky :) the FreeBSD instructions simply say:

"""
To compile QGIS from binary packages type:

pkg_add -r qgis
"""

Surely you only compile from source packages? Does this do an
*install* from binary packages?

Barry