[Qgis-developer] install instructions

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Sep 30 09:54:39 PDT 2013

Tried adding that PPA, now saga conflicts with itself in synaptic.

And if I install with apt-get it removes Qgis. If I try and install
Qgis, it removes Saga.

$ sudo apt-get install saga

currently says

or been moved out of Incoming.

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 saga : Depends: libgdal1 (>= 1.8.0) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: liblas1 but it is not going to be installed

trying to install libgdal1 results in qgis and a bunch of other
packages being REMOVED (in capitals) - I guess because they use
libgdal1h? Whatever that is.

I'm a bit disappointed that I've started from a clean, modern Ubuntu
install (ok, Mint) and am instantly in some kind of dependency hell. I
was hoping it would be "add a source, get qgis, get other goodies,
play".

 Does this all work off OSGeo Live 7?