[Qgis-developer] Layer Name and Title in QGIS Mapserver GetCapabilities response

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Apr 4 06:54:39 PDT 2014

Hi,

Layer title and name are only the same if the title in the metadata is
not set (see metadata tab of a layer). If you set the title in the
metadata tab it will be different from the name in the GetCapabilities
response.

Naming the same layer twice: it's just bad practice. Authors should not
do that. Many plugins also rely on the fact that the same layer name
does not appear multiple times (or how would you distinguish layers
(e.g. in a combobox) if the same layer name is used multiple times?)

I would just tell users: don't do that. It's your own fault if you do it.

I wouldn't mind if you add the layer id in the GetProjectSettings
command (in addition to layer and title, not instead of), but I don't
think that the layer id's should be exposed in GetCapabilities.

Andreas