[Qgis-developer] Layer Name and Title in QGIS Mapserver GetCapabilities response

Ivan Minčík ivan.mincik at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 08:51:28 PDT 2014

Andreas, thanks for your response. My comments are below:

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Layer title and name are only the same if the title in the metadata is
> not set (see metadata tab of a layer). If you set the title in the
> metadata tab it will be different from the name in the GetCapabilities
> response.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

> Naming the same layer twice: it's just bad practice. Authors should not
> do that. Many plugins also rely on the fact that the same layer name
> does not appear multiple times (or how would you distinguish layers
> (e.g. in a combobox) if the same layer name is used multiple times?)
>
> I would just tell users: don't do that. It's your own fault if you do it.

I agree, but it would be fine if QGIS would deny to create layers with same
name, rather than to rely on user's decision.

> I wouldn't mind if you add the layer id in the GetProjectSettings
> command (in addition to layer and title, not instead of), but I don't
> think that the layer id's should be exposed in GetCapabilities.

OK, we are in process of preparing patch which will add multiple new
parameters to GetProjectSettings. We will include also layer ID.

--
Ivan Minčík
ivan.mincik at gmail.com  GPG: 0x79529A1E