[Qgis-developer] Plugin sync across machines via web file?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Apr 5 11:26:58 PDT 2014

On 04/05/2014 11:20 AM, AntonioLocandro wrote:
> Hi is it possible to sync the plugins from one machine across all the
> machines I use QGIS? Here is the situation
>
> I normally work with QGIS on my personal laptop, I have downloaded and
> tested several plugins and I have kept the ones I want. When I go to my
> office I work on my workstation but I then have to remember what plugins I
> use or I think I have a plugin installed while that isn't true. What I would
> like is some way for QGIS to sync plugin from a web file I have shared on a
> public accessible place be that github, dropbox, etc.
>
> Ideas? I would love to have an automatic solution that doesn't involve
> copy/paste some file each time I need to sync plugins since that would be
> error prone

I think you already found the answer, symlink a folder that you keep in
dropbox (or other sync service). Or just add the Dropbox subfolder to
the plugin search path - I just noticed the dialog in the QGIS options
says it's only for C++ plugins, so maybe an enhancement request.

Note you may want to exclude .pyc files as those are not platform
independent.

Thanks,
Alex