[Qgis-developer] Is minus '-' really supported in plugin names ?

Vincent Mora vincent.mora at oslandia.com
Tue Apr 22 02:18:52 PDT 2014

Hi,

I spent some time on Friday trying to upload qgis-epanet in the plugin
repository.

The doc
(http://www.qgis.org/en/docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/releasing.html#official-pyqgis-repository-validation)
says that

    'the name of the main folder containing your plugin must contain
    only contains ASCII characters (A-Z and a-z), digits and the
    characters underscore (_) *and minus (-)*, also it cannot start with
    a digit'

And it was also reminded to me when the Upload of the plugin failed
(plugin is broken)

I ended up creating a local plugin repo for testing the two (attached)
minimal plugins.

When installing the plugin with a minus '-' in the directory name, there
is a problem (python/pyplugin_installer/installer_data.py:620) on:

    exec "import %s" % key in globals(), locals()

Plugin manager simply reports 'python said: invalid syntax' which is not
very helpful.

Note that the error only occurs when installing the plugin from
PluginManager, if you unzip under $HOME/.qgis2/python/plugins, and open
qgis, both plugins load without error.

Am I missing something obvious ?