[Qgis-developer] Is QGIS supports dynamic display?

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Sun Aug 10 23:15:07 PDT 2014

On 2014/08/11 04:11, ?? ? wrote:
> Dear all,
> I'm a new developer of QGIS using C++. I am doing a project which
> needs dynamically displaying maps/layers(just like GPS,layers
> automatically refreshing with the changing of object's position).I
> kown ARCGIS has the technique called dynamic diasplay(or something
> like that),which supports the capacity to do such things. Is QGIS has
> this ability? Any advices would be appreciated!
>
> Regards
> Bob

Hi Bob,
QGIS can definitely do this already.
I used this feature in November last year - but make sure you use the
latest versions of QGIS of all the plugins for field editing because at
that stage some of the (digitising, I think) plugins caused serious
loops when refreshing the screen or adding a feature, so not great if
you are dynamically panning.

I used a Garmin 60CSX, but any gps that can output an NMEA stream should
work.
You also need the free versions of Franson GPSGate from http://gpsgate.com/

On a practical note, I found dynamic panning not very useful for my
purpose. When we drove passed a POI, we couldn't easily pause the
panning in order to drop a points and add the attributes needed. We
found the dynamic tracking (digitising) of the incoming GPS track very
useful, and we manually panned the display as needed, whilst in motion.

HTH,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za