[Qgis-developer] Help on Oracle provider on Debian

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 00:15:09 PDT 2014

Hi Richard!

I have installed oracle client on my ubuntu some time ago - hopefully
it will be the same with Debian - if it works I opt for a beer ;-)

=[ client SDK ]=

- download from Oracle web (need to register):

instantclient-basiclite-linux.x64-12.1.0.1.0.zip
instantclient-sdk-linux.x64-12.1.0.1.0.zip

- unzip (e.g. somewhere to home dir)

=[ QGIS with Oracle ]=

- configure: -DWITH_ORACLE=TRUE
   + point to the library + include dir

- make sure the client library path is in LD_LIBRARY_PATH
- run QGIS with custom QT_PLUGIN_PATH=...../output/lib/qgis/plugins
  (so that the OCI plugin for Qt is found)

- if running QGIS from Qt Creator, make sure to setup environment for running,
  otherwise it will fail to log in with weird error messages, e.g.
    ORA-12162: TNS:net service name is incorrectly specified
  environment:
    ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe
    ORACLE_SID=XE
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/martin/Downloads/oracle/instantclient_12_1

(note: I run Oracle server on localhost, not sure if anything else is
necessary when run on a different machine)

Cheers
Martin