[Qgis-developer] Resurrecting the RFC (QEP - QGIS Enhancement Proposal)

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Aug 22 10:33:00 PDT 2014

Le vendredi 22 août 2014 17:19:34, Marco Hugentobler a écrit :
> Hi Nathan
>
> Sounds good to me (no strong opinion wheter to call it RFC or QEP). The
> old RFC template is even online
> (http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/wiki/RFC_Template).
>
> So open questions:
>
> - What needs to have an RFC?
>      Proposal Martin: >1000 lines of code /  modification to core/gui /
> UI changes

Another good rule of thumb is "if you ask yourself is a change is worth a RFC,
then it is worth it"

> - Who can vote?
>      PSC only (GDAL) / committers

With GIT, 'committers' can be anyone. You probably meant folks who have push
rights in official repo ? If you give them voting rights, and potentially veto
right (not sure how the rules of the voting system of QGIS are), then they are
defacto PSC members, since they can steer the direction of the project. Not
saying this is bad. Just a consequence.

> - How long shall the period from RFC/QEP announcement until finish of
> voting period be? Probably it needs a 'remember, you have to vote' mail
> a few days before end of voting period.

You probably have to distinguish two phases :
- a discussion phase. The length might depend on the reactions of the readers,
if the RFC needs to be reworked, etc... Difficult to put a max length. Generally
it is left to the appreciation of the person who writes the RFC to feel when
enough concensus has been reached so that the voting phase will approve their
RFC
- the voting phase. In GDAL/MapServer, motions are to be voted theoretically
within 2 business days. This might be short however.

http://www.spatialys.com