[Qgis-developer] Resurrecting the RFC (QEP - QGIS Enhancement Proposal)

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 18:31:06 PDT 2014

On 23/08/2014 3:33 am, "Even Rouault" <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:

> Le vendredi 22 août 2014 17:19:34, Marco Hugentobler a écrit :
> > - Who can vote?
> >      PSC only (GDAL) / committers
>
> With GIT, 'committers' can be anyone. You probably meant folks who have
push
> rights in official repo ? If you give them voting rights, and potentially
veto
> right (not sure how the rules of the voting system of QGIS are), then
they are
> defacto PSC members, since they can steer the direction of the project.
Not
> saying this is bad. Just a consequence.

I'd say neither psc nor commit rights are a good fit. While I agree that
the psc should definitely have a say, not everyone on the psc is a
developer or has c++ coding experience. Similarly, we have people who have
commit rights who are neither developers nor psc members.

Since a big part of the qep would be commenting on proposed technical
architecture, I think its fairly important that developers have a good say
in the process. But conversely if the qep process determines the direction
of QGIS, then non devs on the psc should also have a say.

So, I'd say we need a new group for voters. We could have a process like:
- a candidate is nominated & seconded (possibly by psc members only?)
- the candidate gives a short reasoning on why they'd like to be part of
the group and what skills they have
- after receiving a set number of votes the candidate is accepted into the
group. (Again, possibly only the psc could vote on candidates?).

Nyall