[Qgis-developer] Resurrecting the RFC (QEP - QGIS Enhancement Proposal)

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Mon Aug 25 02:42:12 PDT 2014

Hell,

> You speak of discussion with community.
> This is agreement, but the only important to be sure of the work is the
> PSC agreement.
> If after 2 weeks the PSC say nothing one could start with a contract
> for the development ?

As Marco said, and as it always has been the case in the QGIS project, the PSC
vote should only be a confirmation of the community advice.
If the PSC vote is contrary to the general community agreement, then we have a
problem with the PSC itself. It never has been the case AFAIK.
If the community do not generally agree, then there is a problem with the QEP,
and it has to be either refined, or changed.

> Surely better could be have a +1 explicit from the PSC menbers on the
> docs before start the work.
The PSC is there to validate the community advice, based on the expertise of
the latter. If you want to have a sense of agreement before writing a RFC,
then ask the community.

> And how PSC vot need to say that the RFC is accepted ?
I think the QEP should be officially proposed to the PSC by the original author,
and the PSC will have a certain amount of time (say 1 week ?) to vote.
This vote should reflect the community advice.
A lack of vote in the given time should lead to QEP validation.

> Please note also that a community discussion could bring far from the
> objective of the RFC.
> And forgot that only the PSC vote are relevant to say the RFC is
> accepted or not.
>
> Another question is:
>
> actually 4/7 of PSC are not technical.
> This mean that a RFC could be approved without that any one of
> technical comptents are say :
> "ok it is compatible with actual QGIS, it don't break anything".
> Or evalute if what is potentially breakable is reasonable or not.

Once again, the PSC vote should only be a validation of the general community
advice. The required technical competences are in the community at large, and
the PSC knows to trust the community.

> My dubt is infact.  A compatibility break is a technical question ?
> I guess potentially no, because it is more on QGIS usability , but is
> technical when start to say:
>
> hey using this solution you break the past, instead if you use this
> other solution you don't break the past.
>
> Is not simply to evaluate this question, and without a QGIS developer
> expert is not easy to follow a RFC for a funder.

Then the funder hires a QGIS developer to follow the RFC and make report.
That's my scenario 3.

Hope this clarify your questions. Others, do not hesitate to fix my
understanding of the process if I am mistaken.

Vincent