[Qgis-developer] Python plugins mandatory metadata

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Mon Aug 25 12:38:35 PDT 2014

On 25/08/2014 17:46, Vincent Picavet wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> Il 25/08/2014 17:06, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
>>> I agree they should remain optional for now.
>>
>> After a few months of managing the plugin approval queue, I still
>> do not understand what is the advantage of having plugins without
>> a repo and bugtracker. I agree that a home page is not a
>> necessity.
>
> +1 Moreover, plugins are GPL licenced, hence the source code should
> be shared when a plugin is distributed. Python is a script
> language, but still there are some source which should not go into
> the final plugin package (.ui files typically). Therefore, a plugin
> _must_ have a full source code available somewhere, and a
> repository is a logical place for this.
>
> Globally it is about improving the global quality of the software,
> and these steps are the basics a plugin developer should provide.

Yes but there are always going to be exceptions to this and I dont
believe we should make having these items a sticking point e.g.:

* some one in a corporate environment can't easily make a website for
the plugin they write
* Someone in a coprporate environment works in a repo behind a firewall
* a bug tracker is behind a corporate firewall

As Ale says, its not that we should encourage people not to have these
things, but we should not penalise them for it unduly if they don't.

I think there are other things that would be more interesting to
mandate e.g.:

* standardised documentation
* HIG compliance
* Including a license file

etc.

I would still like to see us reach a point where we have 'best of
breed', 'sanctioned' plugins, and the 'wild west' differentiated for
the users.

Regards

Tim