[Qgis-developer] Identify results form vs feature form

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 15:49:22 PDT 2014

Hi,

The reason I moved the option is because it wasn't really a "option" in the
first place. Something like that doesn't belong in the options dialog as it
can be changed more then once during a session, and if you are having to
visit the options dialog for that then it's in the wrong place. Anything
found in Settings -> Options should not have to be changed a lot, set once
and forget. The old method was also inconsistent, sometimes you might not
want the feature form to open for a single feature but you got it
regardless unless you did the Settings -> Options dance to change it for a
single use case.

I agree that getting the identify results dock back is not the best,
however moving the settings back to Options is not the solution.  I am
thinking a Open Result Pane button next to the identity map tool button.

The recommend workflow is to leave the identify result dock open, put it in
a tab if you need, and control the settings for identity from there.   They
will persist between sessions just like the last settings.  The identify
result dock will always show the current results regardless of if the
feature form is shown or not.   This is to make it more consistent from a
users point of view as the tool always does the same action regardless,
showing the results.  Opening the feature form is a bonus on top of the
standard function not in replace of.

It was never about hiding the options. In fact quite the opposite.  Moving
them to the dock now give you more live control on a need by need basis
rather then Settings -> Options...dance if you need to change it for a
session.

Regards,
Nathan