[Qgis-developer] Identify results form vs feature form

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 03:30:58 PDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Alexandre Neto <senhor.neto at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Like Denis said, if you are doing lots of editing, you need things to be
> done fast and need windows out of your way. Putting identify in window mode
> make the Open feature Form hard to use, since two windows will open
> (Identity and Feature Form) that will block the vision to the map canvas.
> The user, after editing the feature attributes must press ok in the feature
> form and close or drag the identify windows away.
>
> Thinking about it, this might not be a identify tool problem at all. And
> the docking behavior might actually be the best to keep. When editing lots
> of features attributes, you want the feature form, not the Identify
> results, that's why I think the best solution would be to separate the
> (fast) access to feature form from the identify tool. (keeping the right
> click open feature form).

I agree.  The main issue I see here is not the identify tool, although I
have issue with the widget itself but that is another topic.  The issue for
me is the tool does two jobs (both not very well). Like you said we need to
split attribute editing, and attribute info, both are not the same thing
and should be treated differently.   If it was me doing it right now, I
would add a "Open Feature Form button" that takes the selection and opens
the form for the first one, with next and back buttons to move though.

Personally I'm not sure that another map tool solves the issue which is why
a action button is better IMO.  OR maybe we are a context menu to the
canvas for faster actions after a select. This means you still have a
button in the toolbar but you can have quick access via right click. There
are other options to make this faster as well.

- Nathan