[Qgis-developer] QEP1 - Proposal for QEP

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 05:43:18 PDT 2014

Hey all,

So I think all (most) agree that the QEP idea is good for the future of the
project.  So in order to move this forward Richard has created a new github
repo for us to store the QEPs.  The plan is to use a git repo to store the
QEPs and new QEPs MUST be added via a pull request.    The pull request
will allow discussion around the QEP until voting stage, then once it's
committed into the repository it is accepted.   So the short hand of that
is, if it in pull request state, it's in draft/review stage.   Using the
pull requests will allow for comments on the sections inside the QEP and
allow tracking of commits made while in draft/review.

In order to kick this off I have created the first QEP which is a proposal
for using QEPs. How meta is that! QEP 1 should include the details on how
future QEPs will work.

You can find the first pull request here:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/pull/1.  This QEP is
still in draft mode and I'm happy to take feedback on the sections so we
can build it out how we need. Please leave comments on the pull request.

You will notice that I have created two types of QEPs, process and
standard.  Standard is application focused and will be managed by a group
of developers. Process QEPs are related to how we do the other stuff in the
project and are managed by the PSC.  I got this idea from PEPs which have
three types but I don't think we will need to go to that level.

Regards,
Nathan