[Qgis-developer] DBManager Oracle implementation

mederic.ribreux mederic.ribreux at medspx.homenet.org
Thu Aug 28 05:48:02 PDT 2014

Hello,

I've been working on the Oracle implementation of DBManager. The code
can be downloaded at this repository:
https://github.com/medspx/dbmanager-oracle

In order to work, it needs cx_Oracle (development done with latest
version 5.1.3). See the README.md for further details. It's a DBA-API
2.0 implementation for Oracle and this eased development a lot by not
dealing with low-level Oracle Database connections problems.

I have started from the postgis code of DBManager and tried to implement
all of its features under Oracle. Some tasks can't been done under
Oracle like renaming a schema or changing the schema of a table, etc.
 From what I have tested so far, eveything is working but you can expect
bugs just because my test environment is quite restrictive (Oracle 10g,
Spatial 12, no DBA rights, no raster data).

I am not a professionnal Python developper nor an Oracle DBA but I've
tested the plugin on a production environment with good results. I think
it needs code and internal queries review.

My main objective is to have this code (and its modifications)
incorporated in the official QGis repository. One of the prerequisites
is to have cx_Oracle Python library incorporated in the official QGis
build. But I don't know how to achieve this and I think it is a little
bit complicated, especially for GNU/Linux distros (at least there is
already an Oracle SDK incorporated into QGis repository).

Other prerequisite will be, of course, the code quality. Feel free to
report bugs in the Github issues tool of the repository. You can also
send me patches.

Best regards,

--
Médéric RIBREUX