[Qgis-developer] QEP: QGIS Mapserver Python Plugins

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 02:56:21 PDT 2014

> I guess the main goal is to avoid that the adopt of python on server
> could slow it.
>
> Infact , the main difference from a desktop and a server is that the
> first is serving only one perosn and this mean that the user could
> wait also for a work for himself.
> Instead a server is used from many users and every of them dont like
> to wait too much.
>
> So the preferrable is if the python server solution sill be optional.
> So who don't need it could to not compile it.

Sure it should be optional, but even when compiled, to avoid the
slowdown it's enough to don't use any plugin, the current
implementation is like a 404 handler: when there is at least one
python plugin installed and there is is no match with the SERVICE
string, then, if a plugin declares that service, it's executed.
This check comes at the end of the loop after all other options have failed.

If the request contains WMS, WCS or WFS then the plugin code is not
even reached, if there aren't any server plugins installed then the
plugin code is never reached.

No slowdown if you don't use the plugins.

Well, just a small slowdown when FCGI app starts the first time but
IMHO is less than noticeable.

Just to make it clear: nobody forces you to use python plugins!

I just like that we now have the possibility to use them, if (and only
if) we want.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it