[Qgis-developer] QEP: QGIS Mapserver Python Plugins

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri Aug 29 03:08:14 PDT 2014

Hi Pirmin,

On Fri, 29. Aug 2014 at 10:24:00 +0200, Pirmin Kalberer wrote:
> This looks like the first real case for an RFC! I'm quite sceptical adding
> Python to QGIS server. In my opinion this should be discussed thoroughly
> first.

I recently spend some time exploring the server side expecially QWC - or other
options.  If I didn't know before, I'd now know why it's called "web".
Frameworks over frameworks in countless languages.    Some frameworks are
are quite similar, some are clones or heavily inspired by others, just
implementend in a different languages.   You can't explore them all, but you
can choose without exploring either.  Really frustrating.

News to me was that javascript is apparently also heavily used on the server
side based on node.js.  So more clones and alternatives on the server side to
choose from.

And we have javascript in Qt.  There's even a generator that builds Qt bindings
for javascript.  If that could also be done for QGIS bindings, we could have
plugins in javascript.   And those could work on desktop, server and android.

But that's just an idea that striked me - exploring it would have sidetracked
me even more, so I didn't.   Anyway - maybe good enough to share it.

No links.  I just tried to lookup qt bindings generator I mentioned and found a
qt binding generator for node.js instead - example on the frontpage a message
box - message box on the server side?  No, I'll stop here, no more exploration
for now. ;)

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de