[Qgis-developer] QEP: QGIS Mapserver Python Plugins

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Fri Aug 29 09:58:57 PDT 2014

Hi Jürgen,

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 4:08 AM, Jürgen E. <jef at norbit.de> wrote:

> Hi Pirmin,
>
> On Fri, 29. Aug 2014 at 10:24:00 +0200, Pirmin Kalberer wrote:
> > This looks like the first real case for an RFC! I'm quite sceptical
> adding
> > Python to QGIS server. In my opinion this should be discussed thoroughly
> > first.
>
> I recently spend some time exploring the server side expecially QWC - or
> other
> options.  If I didn't know before, I'd now know why it's called "web".
> Frameworks over frameworks in countless languages.    Some frameworks are
> are quite similar, some are clones or heavily inspired by others, just
> implementend in a different languages.   You can't explore them all, but
> you
> can choose without exploring either.  Really frustrating.
>
> News to me was that javascript is apparently also heavily used on the
> server
> side based on node.js.  So more clones and alternatives on the server side
> choose from.
>
> And we have javascript in Qt.  There's even a generator that builds Qt
> bindings
> for javascript.  If that could also be done for QGIS bindings, we could
> have
> plugins in javascript.   And those could work on desktop, server and
> android.
>
> But that's just an idea that striked me - exploring it would have
> sidetracked
> me even more, so I didn't.   Anyway - maybe good enough to share it.
>
> No links.  I just tried to lookup qt bindings generator I mentioned and
> found a
> qt binding generator for node.js instead - example on the frontpage a
> message
> box - message box on the server side?  No, I'll stop here, no more
> exploration
> for now. ;)

But wait, there's more! :-) (Sorry, off-topic.)

Yesterday, I came across the Duktape [0] embeddable JavaScript engine,
recommended by the osgEarth project as a new dependency [1].

It has a very small footprint and simple implementation. Not sure how that
would work with Qt, or even if it is needed beyond Qt's JavaScript
generator, engine, etc. Just found it interesting.

Could be used to directly integrate things like d3.js [2] or node.js
without the extra interface through Qt's QScript or QWebPage? (Just
guessing there.)

If/when QGIS's code base has been updated to Qt5, JavaScript will become
readily available as a scripting solution as well.

[0] http://duktape.org/
[1] http://docs.osgearth.org/en/latest/startup.html#get-the-dependencies
[2] http://d3js.org/ , http://bost.ocks.org/mike/map/

Regards,