[Qgis-developer] Duplicated expected images for pal tests

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sun Dec 7 18:37:18 PST 2014

Hi Sandro,

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 6:22 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:

> It seems to me that the expected output images for PAL rendering
> are duplicated, being present once for the "canvas" test and once
> for the "composer" test. Example:
>

> $ cd tests/testdata/control_images/
> $ diff \
> expected_pal_canvas/sp_background_rect/precise/sp_background_rect.png \
>
> expected_pal_composer/sp_img_background_rect/precise/sp_img_background_rect.png
>
> No difference there.

Those are not duplicate images. One is a control image for testing output
from canvas->image and the other when exporting from composer->image, which
are completely different processes. The fact that they are ostensibly
identical is a good thing.  :-)

> Would it make sense to use a symlink between the two directories,
> to reduce size of working copies and maintainance cost ?

When the tests incorporate other platforms, you may not see 'duplicates'
due to differences in font rendering. In fact, there are even tests to
compare those two images against each other; so, please do not symlink
anything (if only for the fact that symlinks are unsupported on Windows).

You can read about how I designed the tests here:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/tree/master/tests/testdata/labeling

Currently, there are very few base labeling tests, but am looking to
increase those to have considerably more coverage.

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota