[Qgis-developer] Huge TIFF files - problem

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at faunalia.pt
Mon Dec 8 16:39:14 PST 2014

> Hi,
> I have got a problem with TIFF files.
> Today I was performing a rastercalculation ? two smaller files was suddenly 122 GB ? and my computer ran out of free space.
> And this afternoon my students georeferenced a jpg, and ended up with 24 GB map.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Hi Lene,
I'm not sure if it is enough to justify such huge output files, but
most of the tools in the "raster" menu just output always float64
tiffs, that certainly contribute to make often bigger than the
necessary. This has been fixed in Processing where most of the gdal
tools now have an option to choose the type of geotiff for the output.

cheers

--
Giovanni Manghi
Faunalia.pt