[Qgis-developer] Ugly jumping maps while zooming

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon Dec 22 06:04:17 PST 2014

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 02:18:05PM +0100, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> On 22-12-14 12:37, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> > I plan to make a call for funding to work on those bugs, but need to
> > find the time for that too. Maybe during christmas holidays.
> >
> > If the feature is not ready for feature freeze, it could maybe just be
> > hidden from the GUI as suggested in http://hub.qgis.org/issues/11829
>
> are you sure 'hiding' will be enough for a stable ('LTS'(?)) QGIS version?
>
> from the remarks and questions here on the list I get the feeling that
> there is some more work/discussion to do ( besides the little gui
> glitches already mentioned, also bigger issues need more thorough
> discussion: for example the composer and the openlayers plugin
> consequences ).
>
> while I appreciate the functionality, AND the benefits of some
> side-effects of the 'map rotation'-work: eg the fixing of tests, the
> discussion about how to keep the state of the map etc, my gut-feeling is
> that the actual rotation work has too much consequences on other
> code/behaviour.
>
> What do you think?

I think that such a big change needs time to be introduced.
And unless anyone comes up with enough fundings to pay the whole development
at once we need a way to allow for an incremental approach. I'm basically
just trying to find a compromise allowing for further development to happen
w/out it being relegated in a PR which would be harder to share among
developers or test on the field.

Having the functionality available, but hidden in a preference, would allow
more consequences to be spotted. I've seen many reports taking place which
took over 2 weeks to be found. These issues would not be found if the code
was not in master for people to play with.

The rotation functionality might be reported as not being complete in
the GUI allowing for enabling it.

Of course I'd prefer having all things working, but I just could not
raise enough funding for everything, and delegating the work done so
far in a PR might make it hard for anyone else (not just me) to find
more to build upon what we have now.

--strk;