[Qgis-developer] some flaw in RDP algorithm?

kimaidou kimaidou at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 06:29:20 PST 2014

Hi,

We definitely need a better simplify algo in QGIS than Douglas Peucker. It
is very fast, but does not really preserve the "shape" of polygons/lines
and does not preserve topology. Your work seems interesting. Is you
approach similar to Visvalingam algo (used for example in Mapshaper :
http://mapshaper.org/ ) ? Does it preserve topology ?
Having a simplifier that can preserver topology while being fast like
Visvalingam would be great indeed !

ps: sorry to bring personnal will in response of your topic instead of
really answering your question..

Michael