[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-community-team] translation: breaking ts file up in parts for transifex ?

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 02:46:13 PST 2014

Hi,

I think splitting will increase complexity both for devs and translators.
Also IMO we still have number of unsolved problems with Transifex:
 - irregular updates (now github and Transifex not in sync)
 - losing old string versions when offline workflow used
 - it is impossible to detect changes when offline workflow used, so
   one should check every file for updates.

So, -1 from me to put GUI translation to Transifex.

> Hi Devs & translators,
>
> one plan for the next hackfest is to get the translation of QGIS itself
> in to transifex.
>
> We already did some testing, and one of the things that is missed, is
> the notion of the context grouping: knowing if you'e in a 'contexthelp'
> part or in the 'wmsdialog' part translating. A this moment going to one
> of tests, the strings are one huge blob...
>
> https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/apptest/viewstrings/#nl
>
> I asked a question in the forum of transifex about this:
>
> http://support.transifex.com/customer/portal/questions/5456317-can-tx-separate-contexts-from-ts-files-as-separate-resources
>
> Their conclusion was: split up the ts file into parts.
>
> My question to devs/community: should or can we do this?
> My feeling is that it adds complexity==problems to it.
>
> Or do we have other options or ideas?
>
> Plz input.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde