[Qgis-developer] translation: breaking ts file up in parts for transifex ?

Kari Salovaara kari.salovaara at pp1.inet.fi
Sun Feb 16 02:44:51 PST 2014

Hi,

I'm translator for Finnish language.
Maybe this issue relates more to devs than to translators due this
replied email is not published in translators email list !

I think that splitting the whole file into modules is wise idea. At the
moment when you translate by using Qt Linguist the module name might
give some hints where in actual program to look what the original
English text means. Quite often devs have used slang words which
non-natives cannot guess without knowing what is happening in program.
Unfortunately even this checking can be very difficult and time consuming.
If there is some errors or something should be translated in another
way, it's easier a) to find certain place where the translation is
situated b) You can guess the context from the name of that module (if
it's correct).

One note of Transifex is that it might lower the quality of future
translations ! This is due that none is responsible of the translation
anymore and there is no common dictionary/vocabulary to help
translations and keep it in nice "package".

Simultaneously should question how to translate plugins raised. At least
the most common and those which are in the list of most used in each
country. At the moment this issue is very important here !

Cheers,
Kari

On 02/16/2014 11:46 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> Hi Devs & translators,
>
> one plan for the next hackfest is to get the translation of QGIS itself
> in to transifex.
>
> We already did some testing, and one of the things that is missed, is
> the notion of the context grouping: knowing if you'e in a 'contexthelp'
> part or in the 'wmsdialog' part translating. A this moment going to one
> of tests, the strings are one huge blob...
>
> https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/apptest/viewstrings/#nl
>
> I asked a question in the forum of transifex about this:
>
> http://support.transifex.com/customer/portal/questions/5456317-can-tx-separate-contexts-from-ts-files-as-separate-resources
>
> Their conclusion was: split up the ts file into parts.
>
> My question to devs/community: should or can we do this?
> My feeling is that it adds complexity==problems to it.
>
> Or do we have other options or ideas?
>
> Plz input.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

Kari Salovaara
Hanko, Finland

"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart." ~Elizabeth Andrew