[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-community-team] translation: breaking ts file up in parts for transifex ?

Alexandre Neto senhor.neto at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 08:29:11 PST 2014

Hello all,

Here goes my 50 cents.

I believe that using transifex will bring more translators, as it's
definitely more straightforward to just register, login and start
translating, than having to mess with download files from git, and push
them back to the repository. In transiflex, if we could share the
glossaries between Documentation, Web and GUI it would also add consistency
to certain translated strings.

But... not being able to preview the GUI dialogs while translating, makes
it difficult to safely translate certain strings that in English can have
several meanings, but that in other languages (my experience is with
Portuguese) must be more explicit. In the website and documentations this
is less troubling since generally strings are in some context.

This means that at least some of the translators will have to keep
downloading the files and edit them using QtLinguist to ensure the quality
of translation.

Alexandre Neto