[Qgis-developer] When is 2.2 really due?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri Feb 21 04:42:26 PST 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 12:17:23PM +0000, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe I did not follow all discussion. But I see people posting tweets
> and blogs everywhere that QGIS 2.2 will be available in 24h or something
> similar.
>
> Is this really true? Don't we require a couple of days for packaging,
> testing that the binaries really work, etc.?
>
> I am just a bit worried that people put out false promises and increased
> pressure on the release manager, making people believe that they can
> install QGIS 2.2. Monday morning ...

Well, I think it's a matter of perception.

It would take a simple git tag for me to be able to install QGIS 2.2.0.
For somebody else it'd take a .deb or .rpm or .exe package instead.

The way I see it, a release should be considered "published" as soon
as a versioned tarball with the source code is made available somewhere
on the internet.

It may be a good habit, in the future, to tag "release candidates"
for packagers to test them before going final.

--strk;