[Qgis-developer] When is 2.2 really due?

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri Feb 21 08:13:59 PST 2014

Hi Andreas,

On Fri, 21. Feb 2014 at 15:30:45 +0000, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Maybe in the future we could also test binary packages before we
> "officially" release QGIS. After all this is what people use out their.
> If packages are broken (even if QGIS from source is fine) this will be
> bad for QGIS reputation. 95% of the QGIS users will judge QGIS after the
> quality of the package they install. They would not install from source.

That's what the test period is for - the differences there are minor (at least
for Windows and the debian/ubuntu packages).

But a lot of people will always wait for the release before they start to test
and find stuff that no one ran into while testing - of course some of those
could be found in a separate package testing phase (and with a extensive test
suite), but packaging problems can also be handled outside of the qgis release
schedule.

> I guess any company with a "product" would do that. I know, we are a project
> and not a company, but I think from a QA perspective we should really also
> test packages before releasing stuff. At least for the most common OS, like
> Win64, latest OSX, latest Ubuntu/Debian.

As the packaging is now outside of qgis (and IMHO is was that way earlier - eg.
bugs in the OSGeo4W packages should be filed there - but the standalone
installer from repackaged OSGeo4W packages is a gray area).

For Windows there's already some threshold - I'll first put the new release
into OSGeo4W and produce a standalone installer some time later...

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
QGIS PSC member (RM)      Germany                      IRC: jef on FreeNode

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden