[Qgis-developer] Approximation and geoprocessing

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Jan 10 06:18:10 PST 2014

Hi,

I don't have a solution for the problem.

But I can confirm that the whole analysis chain is a bit problematic
with all these precision issues. As an example if you test intersections
of buildings against parcels (2 different layers) and the building
touches the parcel borders you may get very tiny intersects with parcels
(only a few square cms) and you wouldn't want to include these
intersections in your analysis.

So it would be cool if for geometry tests there could be a notion of
threshold values. If the area of an intersected polygon is below this
value it wouldn't be taken into account during the analysis.

These issues are really kind of show-stoppers and almost always require
intermediate steps to sort out these edge cases. It would be very handy
if the tools could handle this precision/uncertainty problems without
having to do a lot of intermediate steps.

Andreas