[Qgis-developer] attribute table issues

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Mon Jan 13 05:28:59 PST 2014

On 01/13/2014 01:38 PM, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
> 2014/1/13 Matthias Kuhn <matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
> <mailto:matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch>>
>
>     On 01/13/2014 11:46 AM, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
>>     2014/1/13 Régis Haubourg <regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr
>>     <mailto:regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr>>
>>
>>         Hi there,
>>         as feature freeze is coming, I raise an issue i didn't find
>>         in the lists or
>>         in the tracker.
>>         When working with attribute table, I had many problems on a
>>         classical use
>>         case. I just explore attribute table, filter, order, and then
>>         select lines,
>>         and zoom on the map.
>>
>>         - selection of lines is very slow even for small tables. Do
>>         we need to
>>         trigger redraws when the selected features are not in current
>>         canvas?
>>         Anyway, selecting/ unselecting is to slow
>>
>>         - selected line(s) are grey, and my eyes can't see a
>>         difference with other
>>         non selected lines. I liked old blue 1.x color.
>>
>>         - When selecting a set of feature (using maps tools or
>>         expression), my first
>>         idea is to explore the selected fetaures one by one. So I
>>         click on one and
>>         then will zoom on the feature, but this refreshes current
>>         selection. When
>>         displaying only selected items, I loose then my set of
>>         selected objects.
>>         What is the right workflow? Is there a way to convert a
>>         manual selection set
>>         into a filter? Or could we add a contextual click to 'zoom on
>>         the feature',
>>         not modifying current selection?
>>
>>         Tell me if I need to open tickets or if someone is already on it.
>>         Cheers,
>>         Régis
>>

>>     I'd just add to your notes that IMHO the current attribute search
>>     is much less usable than the old one, I feel that the most
>>     frequent operation is filtering but you have now to dig into the
>>     combo and choose "column filter" to actvate one, while in
>>     previous versions the filtering functions were immediately available.
>>

>     What would be the solution to this?
>     Promoting the columns to top-level items instead of second-level
>     items?
>     Or having a single toplevel "Search" item, which searches on all
>     columns?
>

> Hello Matthias,
>
> Unfortunately I'm not a UX expert, I just noticed that doing one of
> the most common operations on attributes is IMHO harder than before.
>
> It would be great if those of us who have more experience in
> collecting user's feedback (i.r. during courses or trainings) could
> ask the users they meet what is their feeling about this.
>
> But what I would like to see is something like this:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/45502883@N06/11928403446/

Alessandro, thank you for the mockup.

The issue I see with this is, that the filter is defined in two
different locations (in opposite corners of the window).
This would probably be thought of as a two-step approach ( 1: Filter for
visible features 2: In addition, filter for features containing
"Australia") where the two conditions would probably be connected by
AND. I am not sure if this makes things easier ("Why is Australia not
listed? Ah yeah, I have to change back to "Show All". Or: "Why are not
all features shown even though I see a button saying "Show All").

However, these are only my thoughts and I probably do have a strongly
biased developers view.

CC to UX list

Matthias