[Qgis-developer] attribute table issues

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 05:43:38 PST 2014

2014/1/13 Matthias Kuhn <matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch>

>  On 01/13/2014 01:38 PM, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
>
>  2014/1/13 Matthias Kuhn <matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch>
>
>>   On 01/13/2014 11:46 AM, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
>>
>>  2014/1/13 Régis Haubourg <regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr>
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>> as feature freeze is coming, I raise an issue i didn't find in the lists
>>> or
>>> in the tracker.
>>> When working with attribute table, I had many problems on a classical use
>>> case. I just explore attribute table, filter, order, and then select
>>> lines,
>>> and zoom on the map.
>>>
>>> - selection of lines is very slow even for small tables. Do we need to
>>> trigger redraws when the selected features are not in current canvas?
>>> Anyway, selecting/ unselecting is to slow
>>>
>>> - selected line(s) are grey, and my eyes can't see a difference with
>>> other
>>> non selected lines. I liked old blue 1.x color.
>>>
>>> - When selecting a set of feature (using maps tools or expression), my
>>> first
>>> idea is to explore the selected fetaures one by one. So I click on one
>>> and
>>> then will zoom on the feature, but this refreshes current selection. When
>>> displaying only selected items, I loose then my set of selected objects.
>>> What is the right workflow? Is there a way to convert a manual selection
>>> set
>>> into a filter? Or could we add a contextual click to 'zoom on the
>>> feature',
>>> not modifying current selection?
>>>
>>> Tell me if I need to open tickets or if someone is already on it.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Régis
>>>

>>  I'd just add to your notes that IMHO the current attribute search is
>> much less usable than the old one, I feel that the most frequent operation
>> is filtering but you have now to dig into the combo and choose "column
>> filter" to actvate one, while in previous versions the filtering functions
>> were immediately available.
>>

>>    What would be the solution to this?
>> Promoting the columns to top-level items instead of second-level items?
>> Or having a single toplevel "Search" item, which searches on all columns?
>>

>  Hello Matthias,
>
>  Unfortunately I'm not a UX expert, I just noticed that doing one of the
> most common operations on attributes is IMHO harder than before.
>
>  It would be great if those of us who have more experience in collecting
> user's feedback (i.r. during courses or trainings) could ask the users they
> meet what is their feeling about this.
>
>  But what I would like to see is something like this:
>
>  http://www.flickr.com/photos/45502883@N06/11928403446/
>

> Alessandro, thank you for the mockup.
>
> The issue I see with this is, that the filter is defined in two different
> locations (in opposite corners of the window).
> This would probably be thought of as a two-step approach ( 1: Filter for
> [...]

I see your point, even if I think that as long as the "visible feature" is
not activated by default, the user is within the same single task: he will
probably recall that he has already set a filter ("visible features) and
quickly recognize why he's not seeing what he expected.

Other solution would be to put both in the same bottom line, do we have
enough horizontal space?

... or maybe just go back to 1.8 layout with the two bottom lines, with the
combo instead of the checkboxes.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it