[Qgis-developer] Changelog: Misleading "Author" tag

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 08:30:35 PST 2014

Hi

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 4:52 AM, Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com> wrote:

> I don't mind too much - though I have a similar problem in that many of us
> donate large amounts of time to the project which is essentially 'funding'
> too that goes unacknowledged.

I agree with Tim. There are so many other things that people in QGIS
community do - bug fixing, translations, documentation, web, support on
mailing lists - that it feels wrong to highlight just donations for new
features. Also, it may be unfair to sponsors who give money directly to
QGIS project - they get credit for sponsoring the whole project, while
companies listed in changelog would eventually get more publicity without
directly contributing to the project's budget.

We should probably agree on a policy about the right way of giving credit
to organizations that fund development. Recently in source code there I
have some mentions of funding in comments which I believe are better kept
just in git commit comments, out of source code.

Regards
Martin