[Qgis-developer] Can we deactivate the Select datum transformations dialog by default?

Ramon Andiñach custard at westnet.com.au
Mon Jan 20 16:12:11 PST 2014

Hmm, looks like it just sent an email that pretty much confirms this.

Can I ask, what caused this to pop up in 2.1 but not 2.0?

I'd be a lot less freaked if there was a description rather than a load of numbers.
Particularly as the numbers don't immediately related to the proj parameters for the projection I usually use (which because they're pair with a description I've started to become familiar with).

It also seems indiscriminate about what layers it's picking on. Mostly my projects are displayed in MGA94 zone 51 with OTF on. If I remotely understand this dialogue it's asking to transform a layer in AMG84 zone 51 into WGS84. Why only this layer? There are other layers in this project that aren't either WGS84 (which I presume is being used as a staging datum before moving to MGA) and they don't get picked up?

> On 21 Jan 2014, at 1:35, "Anita Graser" <anitagraser at gmx.at> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I suggest to deactivate the Select datum transformations dialog by default.
>
> Here is why:
> - Most users are happy with the default transformations. (I assume that's the case because it's not often a topic in the support channels.)
> - It adds at least two more clicks for opening a layer (if it has to be transformed).
> - Opening old project files is a real pain (until you notice and decide to use "remember selection").
> - Many users have no idea what to do with the dialog. It's just a list of weird parameters which most have never seen before. You only get some information about "preferred" and "deprecated" transformations on mouse-over.

I hadn't even noticed that until you mentioned it. I'd be really tempted to swap them around. Most of the hover text in the dialogue. Details in the hover over.

> - Hiding deprecated transformations does not seem to work currently (tested with nightly on Windows 7).

+1

> - Users who need non-standard transformations could add them to their QGIS options.
> - I think we would just scare away users if the first thing they see when they try to load some dataset is this dialog.

Not here, just confuse them by having a project they made 2 months ago fail in interesting ways.

> Best wishes,
> Anita

-ramon.