[Qgis-developer] Can we deactivate the Select datum transformations dialog by default?

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Mon Jan 20 10:05:28 PST 2014

Hi Anita,

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM, Anita Graser <anitagraser at gmx.at> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I suggest to deactivate the Select datum transformations dialog by default.

+1 for this. Also, the dialog's columns need better default widths (too
thin now), and a little text about what the dialog is about would go a long
way for new users.

> Here is why:
> - Most users are happy with the default transformations. (I assume that's
> the case because it's not often a topic in the support channels.)
> - It adds at least two more clicks for opening a layer (if it has to be
> transformed).

Yes, very annoying. Maybe there is a better way to indicate to the user
that transformations need to be addressed, even after a default one is
applied and the layer loaded?

> - Opening old project files is a real pain (until you notice and decide to
> use "remember selection").
> - Many users have no idea what to do with the dialog. It's just a list of
> weird parameters which most have never seen before. You only get some
> information about "preferred" and "deprecated" transformations on
> mouse-over.

For me, this is the most salient reason.

> - Hiding deprecated transformations does not seem to work currently
> (tested with nightly on Windows 7).
> - Users who need non-standard transformations could add them to their QGIS
> options.
> - I think we would just scare away users if the first thing they see when
> they try to load some dataset is this dialog.

Agreed. This is already the case with the CRS dialog, which routinely
mystifies some new users, even is it is completely necessary to basic GIS
workflow.

Regards,

Larry