[Qgis-developer] On the fly simplication of point layers

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 03:23:25 PST 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 4:33 PM, Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com> wrote:

>> Actually the point displacement renderer already does clustering,
>> though it lacks more options to customize how the clustered symbol
>> would look like.
>>

> Doesnt it do the reverse? i.e. when more than one point falls in the same
> place, it shifts them aside so they are all visible. If it can be made to
> produce a scaled symbol based on the number of underlying points that would
> be cool.That would also be a good time to change its name to 'Custer or
> displace' or something.

I think that was what the renderer did originally, but nowadays it
also groups points within configured distance. Unfortunately it always
tries to draw a circle around the clustered point with original
symbols. If we introduced few rendering options, it would be more
useful:
- draw just the clustered symbol for the whole group
- scale the clustered symbol depending on the number of points inside

Cheers
Martin