[Qgis-developer] On the fly simplication of point layers

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Thu Jan 23 14:16:06 PST 2014

Hi

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com> wrote:

> Hi

>> > Doesnt it do the reverse? i.e. when more than one point falls in the
>> same
>> > place, it shifts them aside so they are all visible. If it can be made
>> > produce a scaled symbol based on the number of underlying points that
>> would
>> > be cool.That would also be a good time to change its name to 'Custer or
>> > displace' or something.
>>
>> I think that was what the renderer did originally, but nowadays it
>> also groups points within configured distance. Unfortunately it always
>> tries to draw a circle around the clustered point with original
>> symbols. If we introduced few rendering options, it would be more
>> useful:
>> - draw just the clustered symbol for the whole group
>> - scale the clustered symbol depending on the number of points inside
>>

> Yeah that should do it!

I tested with a large point dataset (geonames ~3.5 million records).
Basically enabling the point displacement renderer on that layer kills (or
takes so long I killed it) QGIS. Since the essence of clustering is to
speed up rendering times and reduce visual clutter, I suspect simple tweaks
to the renderer would not be enough.

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net