[Qgis-developer] QGIS and 3D

giulianc51 giulianc51 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 03:46:55 PST 2014

hi all,

I'm new to the QGIS;

I like to explore the capabilities of QGIS towards 3D performances,
I intend vector 3D;

I think of:
- visualization (orthogonal, axonometric and perspective views)
- sections (along with any plane, canonic or skew)
- volume and surface calculation
and so on;

I know that these operations are already possibile with raster layers
and I did'nt intend to propose a flame for the primality of vector
and/or raster;

I think only to analyze and eventually build some tools for managing 3D
models, leaving to the user the choice of vector / raster selection;

I think that the possibility of managing, georeferencing and analyse
point clouds from laserscanner, sfm, etc, could be an interesting
chance;

From that point of view I'm curious of the presence in the QGIS API of
some features 3D: Line3D, Point3D, QgsTINInterpolator, Vector3D;
because I dont know the C/C++ and I can't see the original
documentation, where can I find some documentation in pythonish mode
(the pyqgis cookbook doesnt treat that subject) ? Which are the
development purposes about 3D?

sorry for my bad english, thanks in advance, best regards,

giuliano curti
melegnano, milano, italia