[Qgis-developer] QGIS and 3D

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Fri Jan 24 05:23:05 PST 2014

Hello Giuliano,

As for now, there is no support for 3D in QGIS, be it for visualization, or
internally.

If you want to have some 3D features for your GIS you can :
* use qgis2threejs to visualize layers on top of a MNT with a WebGL browser
* Use the 3D features of grass through QGIS
* Use latest PostGIS versions, which allow you to manipulate 3D objects.
PostGIS + SFCGAL lets you do some computations on 3D objects with SQL. You can
send SQL commands from within QGIS. See this video for an example and
visualization of 3D objects with Horao (QGIS plugin to view PostGIS 3D
objects) :
http://vimeo.com/74869530

There will probably be at some point an effort to support 3D objects in the low
level QGIS code, and Marco already worked a bit on it I think. But this is a
heavy-lifting task and a lot more work and funding are needed. Maybe Marco can
elaborate a bit more on this.

Vincent